Background and Approach
Our Medical Advisory Services medical professionals, in conjunction with The NMAS Group companies' experts, work in tandem to help you protect your people and your critical infrastructure through science, experience, and policy implementation. Applying the principles of Enterprise Risk Management, we work to position you to be able to take the right actions for the right reasons to ensure the health, safety, and productivity of your people, while protecting your financial and physical assets.
An emergency is any unplanned event that can cause deaths or significant injuries to employees, customers or the public; or that can shut down your business, disrupt operations, cause physical or environmental damage, or threaten the facility's financial standing or public image [FEMA 141, October 1993]. Every year emergencies take their toll on business and industry – in lives and dollars. Is your organization prepared to handle unanticipated events?
What happens if there is an emergency? What resources do you have? Who is in-charge? But something can be done. Businesses and industry can limit injuries and damages and return more quickly to normal operations if they plan.
While response is the central focus during a hazardous event, the key to a successful outcome begins with planning. Businesses often focus on immediate, ongoing activities and not on the perils that could significantly affect long-term economic survival. Our All-Hazards Preparedness Management Path dissects a hazardous events' potential impact and identifies the phases a business should go through to prevent or mitigate damages from the hazardous event.
Drawing on our own wealth of experience and tapping into public domain information, we have developed a methodology, including quantitative measures, which enable the assessment of the hazards most likely to affect your people and your organization. Our quantitative measures result in a prioritized order of those hazards requiring additional preparation.
We identify vulnerabilities to prepare you for action and communication should a hazard arise. Simply stated, we use our All-Hazards Solution Path methodology to help you:
- Focus – We assess your exposure to hazards in terms of their likelihood of occurrence and their impact.
- Prepare – We assess the vulnerabilities to your organization and work with you to develop mitigation approaches.
- Execute – We assist you with the implementation of emergency response procedures. If appropriate, our national call center can be incorporated into your emergency planning or even into your daily operations.
We actively engage with you to determine which hazards require your investment. We work collaboratively to:
- identify relevant hazards to your organization;
- calculate conditional risk to human, property, and organizational impact; and
- calculate the overall residual risk for each hazard scenario
To accomplish these goals, we:
- meet with executive team to identify potential hazardous events and their probability of occurring;
- perform Human, Property, Environmental, Organizational and Community impact assessment; and
- Prepare Preliminary Impact and Residual Risk Assessment Report tailored to your specific needs.
Lastly, to ensure that you have documentation and references to guide your actions and investment, we provide you with the following:
- Vulnerability Assessment – This assessment tool guides our interactive investigation of your potential risks, their likelihood, their impact, and the work you already have done to prepare for them;
- Impact Assessment Report – Based on the assessment conducted to determine residual risk, we prepare a detailed report for you that highlights the identified relevant hazards; and
- Hazard Profile and Residual Risk Assessment Report – At your request, we will compile a complete profile of all of the hazards information gathered and our analysis of it, organized by:
Prevention and Intervention Strategies
Being able to head-off potential crises by taking action now (planning) and knowing what to do and what to say at critical moments (mitigation) are major factors in preventing or lessening the impact of any hazards. Our team works with you to:
- determine your risk appetite; and
- develop cost-effective, preparedness actions to mitigate the identified vulnerabilities in the vulnerability analysis
To accomplish these goals, we:
- meet with the executive team to confirm your planned level of risk, your organization's mission, and current hazard mitigation and risk communication strategies;
- prepare "hazard mitigation gap" analyses to identify deficiencies; and
- provide strategic recommendations commensurate with your planned level of risk.
Consistent with our commitment to provide actionable documentation, we will prepare at your request any or all of the following:
- Prevention and Intervention Strategy Report outlining the actions designed to reduce the residual risk as desired;
- All-Hazard Communication Plan; and
- Hazard Profile Selection Worksheet
Plan Implementation and Execution
We work with you to:
- identify the team required and define the necessary protocols to enable the organization to respond and continue operate as planned;
- train the organization's personnel to respond in compliance with the plan for the hazardous events identified; and
- ensure interoperability of the protocols and procedures for the hazardous events identified.
To accomplish these goals, we:
- formulate actions and mitigation protocols for review by the executive team;
- evaluate cost/benefit implementation solutions, including the NMAS call center, and
- identify potential strategic vendors to fulfill organization's emergency preparedness needs as defined in the Prevention and Intervention Strategy Report.
To support your execution of the plan, we will coordinate and oversee the implementation of your desired All-hazard protocols.
Our comprehensive approach to all-hazards planning and preparedness mitigates the risks and adverse consequences of natural, technological, and man-made hazardous events. Contact Us today to see how we can help you.